Precision Target 308 AR AR-10 AR 308 18″ Rifle (Build Guide)
Table of Contents
Precision Target 308 AR 18″
December 04, 2021: It’s funny to read this old page from 2011. Since 2011 the Mega Arms brand disappeared and recently reappeared, Geissele Triggers remain one of the best brands and most notably the market is saturated with .308 AR manufacturers, parts, and accessories. The platform is nearly as common as its offspring the AR-15
Precision Target 308 AR Update April 1, 2016. Delays in wrapping this project up have been a blessing in disguise. There are now a few alternate options available for some of our choices. I think you’ll be pleased with the results of our latest 308AR (Not AR-10)
The Mega Arms MATEN Ambidextrous Receiver Set is easily one of the finest 308AR receiver sets available for the DPMS platform. I have been saving the set for a special build, this one. This set was initially purchased as part of a group buy and a long wait on the 308 AR Forum. Now it’s readily available from Brownells. Visitors to this site, please review your Mega Arms MATEN at Brownells. Mega Arms and Brownells are both friends to our sites.
Rainier Arms UltraMatch 18 308AR Barrel.”
I had initially selected a JP Rifles SuperMatch Barrel for this project sort of as a spare no expense approach. Unfortunately, the barrels were never available for purchase. Upon receiving an in-stock notification for Rainier’s UltraMatch barrel, I decided to move this project forward.
From “RA,” We wanted to build a .308 barrel using the finest blank and mass produce them to bring them to market at the most competitive prices. Our UltraMatch™ barrels start as Shilen blanks and contoured to our specifications. We wanted the best balance between accuracy while keeping the weight down as much as possible. The Rainier Match Chamber is a modified .308 WIN-7.62 NATO chamber to produce ultimate reliability and accuracy shooting the 7.62 NATO & .308 WIN rounds.
- Stainless Steel Match Grade Shilen Blank
- Length: 18″
- Twist: 1:10
- Gas Block Seat: .750 Diameter
- Thread Pitch: 5/8X24
- Weight: 2 lbs 10 oz
- .308 Rainier Match Chamber
- Mid Gas System
- 6 Groove
- M4 Feed Ramps
- Proprietary Contour
- Bead Blasted Finish
- Weight: 2 lbs 10 oz
PRECISION REFLEX INC PRI 308AR GEN III DELTA CARBON-FIBER FREE-FLOAT HANDGUARD
Command Arms CAA Sniper Stock
The Command Arms CAA Sniper Stock is stupidly expensive, extremely adjustable, heavy, and ugly, so what the hell? I’ll give it a shot—keeping in mind that local laws require that I fix the stock at whatever length is most comfortable.
SRS – AR15/M16 Advanced Sniper Stock w/ leg for A2 Rifle and SR25
The result of years of research and development. Designed in conjunction with special units of the IDF (Israel Defense Force), this sniper stock is ideally suited to meet the demands of the precision marksman community. Proven to provide rapid target acquisition, faster and more accurate follow-up shots, and quicker target-to-target acquisition. Completely adjustable, featuring a folding rear leg that converts an A2, A4, or SR25 rifle with a bipod into a stable shooting platform. Designed for full-length stock tube
- 10 position push button adjustable length of pull of stock
- The quick-release extendable leg has a coarse and fine push-button height adjustment plus a knurled micro height adjustment ring.
- The cheek rest is fully adjustable for height, with knurled knob controlling a spring-loaded mechanism to raise the cheekpiece height.
- The cheekpiece length can be set at any of 13 click locking positions controlling eye relief adjustment
- Leg locks in 3 positions: 0˚, 45˚, and 90˚
- 2 quick-release sling mount points
SRS#: Sniper Stock
Part #: SRS
Fits: AR15/M16, SR25 Rifle
Number of Rails: 4
Made of: Polymer/Alum
Weight (lb): 2.05
Horizontal Adj. : 2.25 in
Length of Pull: 11-14.5 in
Vertical Cheek Adj.: 1.5 in
Vertical Butt Plate Adj.: 2.25 in
Leg Length: 3.5-7.25 in
Geissele Hi-Speed National Match – Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) Trigger
Despite the temptation to go with the absolute lightest trigger available measured in ounces rather than pounds the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match – Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) Trigger is a more appropriate choice. I often let others try my rifles at the range and not everyone is experienced enough to shoot a match trigger with skill.
Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) model combines the light first stage of the Match trigger with the heavier Service second stage to reduce the risk of premature release in high-stress situations. Perfect for precision tactical and competitive shooting where trigger pull is not regulated. Allows a high rate of semi-auto fire; an experienced shooter can fire 30 rounds in as little as 4½ seconds. The first stage, 1.3 to 3 lbs.; the second stage, ½ to 1½ lbs.
- Note: When installing this trigger in an LR-308 the machined in trigger guard can sometimes hit the trigger so the bottom of the trigger may need to be relieved.
- The trigger is adjustable for overtravel and sear engagement
- HI-SPEED hammer
- 50% lock time reduction over standard hammer
- Gunsmithing is recommended by the manufacturer, safety clearance is the only known fitting required less than 5% of the time
- Pull Weights: 1st stage 1.3-3lb and 2nd stage 0.5-1.5lb
Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-SA Combat Ambi Safety Selector AR15 AR10
The Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-SA Combat Ambi Safety Selector AR15 AR10 BADCASS has become the only safety I will use for any of my black rifles. Roger and the team have developed a product that will be difficult to improve upon.
Battle Arms Development – Combat Ambidextrous Safety Selector – Semi-Auto (BAD-CASS-SA) for the AR15 Style Rifles and the ArmaLite, Inc.’s AR10®. The Levers are detachable and interchangeable on both sides for maximum flexibility and user preference. There are a total of (9) Lever Designs and (81) Possible Lever Combinations! The BAD-CASS-SA is a must-have for the “South Paw” and Ambidextrous Shooters!
What is different with the BAD-CASS family of safety selectors vs. the original BAD-ASS family of safety selectors is the way the levers are attached. The DOVETAIL lever attachment of the BAD-CASS allows for superior strength and dependability by removing the stress from the screws. Originally designed for military applications, the BAD-CASS Combat Ambidextrous Safety Selector is now available to all.
Each Retail Package Comes With:
- (1) SAFETY CENTER (0°-90° SEMI-AUTO)
- (2) LEVERS – BLACK PHOSPHATE
- (2) TORX SCREWS BLACK OXIDE
- (1) HARDENED STAINLESS STEEL SAFETY DETENT (by KNS Precision)
- (1) T10 TORX L-Key
- (1) SELECTOR DETENT SPRING
- PRECISION CNC MACHINED FROM BAR STOCK STEEL
- MADE IN U.S.A.
- PATENT NO.: US 8,806,790 B1, OTHER PATENTS PENDING
Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip
Over the last few years, I have been consistently using Magpul pistol grips on most of my AR15 rifles. For 308 rifles though I tend to prefer grips that are more cushioned and made of grippy rubber-like the Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip.
- Ergonomically correct finger grooves
- Includes trigger guard filler
- Cobblestone ™ texture provides an efficient non-slip stippling pattern
- Beavertail provides the extended length of pull
- The integrated rear upper extension supports the web of your hand
- Virtually impervious to oils and solvents
- Accommodates the Samson field survival kit (100-004-235)
Links to Other 308 AR | AR-10 | AR 308 Content
Manufacturers | 308 AR Compatibility | Charging Handles | Carbon Fiber Barrels| Barrels | AR Rifle Build Guides | AR Receiver Selection Guide | Trigger Selection Guide | Bolt Carriers | Armalite AR-10 Rifle Parts | AR-10 Rifle Barrel Selection Guide | 308 Scope Selection Guide | Tools | Scope Mounts |