MILDOT MASTER MILDOT CALCULATOR
MILDOT MASTER – The mil-dot reticle is in increasingly widespread use among long-range rifle shooters as a means of estimating the range to the target. This estimation is critical in order to correct for the varying degree of projectile drop (and/or wind drift) at different ranges and thereby enable the shooter to hit the target. With training and familiarization, an experienced marksman can accurately estimate range to target by using this type of reticle and by making the appropriate calculations. Originally fitted to telescopic sights designed for military (and later police) use, the mil-dot reticle has seen growing acceptance in the civilian sector among target shooters and hunters.
By using a set of fixed references within the scope, the shooter can compare the size of the target, a portion of the target, or a nearby reference target to a series of precisely sized dots and spacing. By estimating the size of the target or nearby reference and noting the number of mils that equal the size of the target, the shooter can determine the range to the target by applying a formula (size of target in yards multiplied by 1000, divided by size of target in mils, equals range to target in yards), usually done with the help of a conventional hand held electronic calculator. However, there are problems associated with the use of an electronic calculator. The MILDOT MASTER is designed to eliminate these problems.
- Problem: The necessary calculations are somewhat complex and depend upon the shooter’s ability to remember and correctly apply the formula. Solution: With the Mildot Master, you don’t have to memorize formulae, as the correct formulae are already built into the scales.
- Problem: The size of the target is more often than not mentally estimated in inches, necessitating an additional calculation to convert the target size into a decimal equivalent of yards. ie: 18″ shoulder width. If the range is to be calculated in meters, an additional conversion from yards to meters in necessary. Solution: No conversion of estimated target size from inches into decimal equivalent of yards is necessary, as the Target Size Scale is in increments of feet and inches on the Mildot Master®.
- Problem: Even after the shooter has gone through the range calculation procedure, the amount of bullet drop (or wind drift) applicable to that range must now be applied to the sight picture to enable a hit on the target. Either the scope must be adjusted or the sight picture “held over”, which necessitates a second series of calculations to translate the needed amount of correction into a scope adjustment or hold-over figure for that range and load. Solution: The Mildot Master makes this process extremely simple by performing range determination, sight adjustment, and hold-over calculations simultaneously. Once the range has been determined by aligning the Target Size with the measured number of mils, bullet drop/drift figures are automatically aligned with the corresponding sight adjustment/hold-over figures.
- Problem: Aside from the possibility of errors occurring during these calculations, the time involved in such calculations can prove problematic in certain scenarios, such as military or police counter-sniping operations, timed competitive target-shooting events, or hunting situations. Solution: Speed of calculations necessary to determine range to target and required telescopic sight adjustment and/or hold-over can be significantly reduced by using the Mildot Master in lieu of a conventional hand-held electronic calculator.
The Mildot Master is an analog calculator designed along the principle of a slide rule, utilizing logarithmic and inverse logarithmic scales developed specifically for performing the following operations:
- Rapid and simple calculation of range to target, based on a measurement of the target with a mildot reticle, by aligning the estimated target size directly opposite the mildot measurement, and then reading the range at an index mark.
- Rapid and simple calculation of the amount of sight correction necessary to compensate for bullet drop and/or wind drift for a given range, enabling the shooter to determine either the equivalent telescopic sight adjustment (minute-of-angle, or MOA) or the equivalent hold-over (mils), by reading equivalents in both MOA and mils directly opposite the bullet drop/wind drift figure.
- Additionally, angle of fire for uphill or downhill shots can be accurately measured, and the up/down compensation can be closely calculated to reduce the errors such shots can induce.
- No conversion of estimated target size from inches into decimal equivalent of yards is necessary, as the Target Size Scale is in increments of feet and inches.
- No entry of data or operations through a keypad is necessary, as the device is purely analog and only requires the alignment of figures on scales.
- No memorization of formulae is necessary, as the correct formulae are built into the scales.
- No complex calculations for determination of telescopic sight adjustment or hold-over at various ranges are necessary, as the scales of the device convert drop/drift figures directly into both MOA and mils.
- No separate data sheet is necessary for bullet drop figures, as the reverse side of the device is designed to accommodate either commercially available data decals or user-produced data strips.
VORTEX STRIKE EAGLE 1-6×24 AR RIFLE SCOPE
VORTEX STRIKE EAGLE 1-6×24 AR RIFLE SCOPE – Speed and versatility—that’s what 1x variable optics offer AR shooters who need to engage targets from point-blank out to extended ranges. And that’s exactly what you’re going to get with Vortex’s new Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24. Take into consideration what it costs to get into this optic, and you may find you can’t afford not to buy it. Whether you’re burning through a 3-Gun Stage, logging some range time, or holding for hair on a coyote you’ve duped into thinking you’re lunch, the Strike Eagle is up to the task. High-quality, fully multi-coated lenses deliver a clear, crisp sight picture and optimal low-light performance. A true one-power on the low end of its 6x zoom range provides quick target acquisition in close quarters scenarios. Need to engage targets at distance? Crank it up to 6x and let it rip.
Download the manual – VORTEX STRIKE EAGLE 1-6×24 AR RIFLE SCOPE BDC MOA
Reticle Information: The illuminated, glass-etched AR-BDC reticle subtends with popular 5.56 mm cartridges, and the centered halo promotes fast target aquisition.
- Tube Diameter: 30mm
- Adjustment Click Value: .5 MOA
- Adjustment Type: Click
- Exposed Turrets: No
- Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes
- Turrets Resettable to Zero: No
- Zero Stop: No
- Turret Height: Low
- Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes
- Lens Coating: Fully multi-coated
- Warranty: VIP
- Rings Included: No
- Sunshade Included: No
- Sunshade Length: N/A
- Lens Covers Included: Yes
- Power Variability: Min power: 1x Max power: 6x
- Reticle Construction: Glass etched
- Reticle: AR-BDC
- Illuminated Reticle: Yes
- Battery Type: CR2032
- Holdover reticle: Yes
- Reticle Focal Plane Location: Second focal plane
- Parallax Adjustment: Fixed at 100 yards
- Finish: Matte
- Water/Fogproof: Yes
- Shockproof: Yes
- Objective Bell Diameter: 24mm
- Ocular Bell Diameter: 1.7″
- Eye Relief: 3.5″
- Exit Pupil Diameter: Not listed by manufacturer
- Weight: 17.6oz
- Max Internal Adjustment: Windage: 140 MOA Elevation: 140 MOA
- Field of View at 100 Yards: 116.5’ @ 1x 19.2′ @ 6x
NIKON M 308 4-16x42mm BDC 800 RIFLESCOPE
NIKON M 308 4-16x42mm BDC 800 RIFLESCOPE Long Range Accuracy for Heavy Calibers
The Nikon M-308 series riflescopes have become one of the most popular 308 scopes for visitors of 308AR.com seeking the best value for their hard earned money. I own two as well as a couple of the M-223 .223/5.56 AR15 versions.
NIKON M 308 4-16x42mm BDC 800 RIFLESCOPE Nikon part number 16463 represents Nikon’s Precision AR Optic technology for heavier caliber rifles capable of long-range accuracy. A large magnification range combined with an oversize lens provides accurate shots with heavy caliber rifles in any conditions.
NIKON M 308 4-16x42mm BDC 800 RIFLESCOPE was designed for extreme sighting speed and long range accuracy with 308AR, AR308 and Armalite AR-10 and similar rifles that utilize 308 WIN/7.62mm NATO round, the M-308 provides flagship Nikon optics and repeatable 800-yard precision. The M-308 line features Interchangeable Turret Technology for customized precision with virtually any load. To simplify field adjustments, Nikon has integrated Instant Zero-Reset Turrets into all new M-308 riflescopes. Just sight-on as usual, then lift the adjustment knob, rotate to your “Zero” and re-engage. Fully multicoated optics provide up to 95% light transmission for a bright, sharp sight picture in any shooting light between dawn and dusk.
- NIKON BDC 800 Reticle
- Ultra Clearcoat Optical System
- Spring-Loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
- Fully Multicoated Optics
- Quick Focus Eyepiece
- Designed for use with Nikon’s Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
NIKON M 308 4-16x42mm BDC 800 Reticle
The NIKON BDC 800 RETICLE was developed specifically for the trajectory of the .308 Win/7.62 NATO Match round with 168gr. HPBT match bullet. The BDC 800 reticle is designed for a 100 yard zero on the crosshair – with points representing all ranges from 200 to 800 yards.
Custom Precision at Your Fingertips
Like all of Nikon’s riflescopes, the M-308 series is optimized for use with Nikon Spot On Ballistic Match Technology. Spot On allows you to discover all of the exact aiming points on your scope’s reticle at various yardages for your specific ammunition and load.
Magnification – 4 –16 x
Objective Diameter – 42 mm
Exit Pupil – 2.62 -10.5 mm
Field of View – 6.3 –25.2 ft @100 yds
Tube Diameter – 1 inch
Eye Relief – 3.7 – 4 inch
Objective Outside Diameter – 49.3 mm
Eyepiece Outside Diameter – 44 mm
Weight – 19 oz
Overall Length – 13.5 inches
Adjustment Graduation – 1/4 inch
Max Internal Adjustment – 40 MOA
Parallax Setting – 50 yds – Infinity
Side Focus – Yes
Waterproof/Fogproof – Yes
Spot On Custom Turret – Yes
Matte Finish – Yes
Use – Centerfire Short/Mid Range 308 AR, AR-10, AR308 and AR15 MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle), Varmint/Predator
Reticle – NIKON BDC 800
Nikon’s Lifetime Warranty
Nikon riflescopes are covered by Nikon’s Lifetime Warranty. If any Nikon riflescope is found to have defects in workmanship or materials, we will, at our option, repair or replace it at no charge.
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127
We probably get just as many questions about the best scope for an AR-10/308AR as we do out the platform hardware itself. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 will be a first in a series of Vortex scope purchases for this and our other sites. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 was intially ordered for a a MDT TAC21 project at modularrifle.com. However based on the price point half way between the inexpensive scopes and premium scopes the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 might just be exactly what many AR-10 and 308AR rifle shooters are looking for. We purchased ours online here.
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 Description:
Born from an intimate understanding of riflescope designs, the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 delivers the performance and features that tactical shooters demand. This rifle scope engineered from the experts at Vortex is built on an ultra-strong 30mm one-piece machined aluminum tube to deliver increased windage and elevation travel and optimal adjustment. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 features an extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting in crisp, sharp images. For top-tier riflescopes, the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Waterproof Rifle Scope impresses without emptying out your pocket.
Vortex PST-43127: Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope w/ EBR-2C MOA Reticle, Black
Specifications for Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127:
- Magnification: 6-24 x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 50 mm
- Eye Relief: 4.0 inches
- Field of View: 17.8-5.1 feet/100 yards
- Tube Size: 30 mm
- Turret Style: Tactical
- CRS Zero Stop:
- Adjustment Graduation: 1/4 MOA
- Travel per Rotation: 12 MOA
- Max Elevation Adjustment: 65 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment: 65 MOA
- Parallax Setting: 50 yards to infinity
- Length: 15.5 inches
- Weight: 23.4 ounces
Features of Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Shockproof Riflescope:
- XD Lens Elements – Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting in crisp, sharp images
- XR Fully Multi-Coated – Proprietary coatings increase light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces
- First Focal Plane Reticle – Scale of reticle remains in proportion to the zoomed image Constant subtensions allow accurate holdover and ranging at all magnifications
- Glass-etched Reticle – Protected between two layers of glass for optimum durability and reliability
- Illuminated Reticle – Provides precise aiming under low-light conditions
- Tube Size – 30 mm diameter
- Single-Piece Tube – Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance, as well as ensures strength and waterproofness
- Aircraft-Grade Aluminum – Constructed from a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and rigidity
- Waterproof – O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the riflescope for reliable performance in all environments
- Fogproof – Argon gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures
- Shockproof – Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact
- Hard Anodized Finish – Highly durable low-glare matte finish helps camouflage the shooter’s position
- ArmorTek – Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt
- Tactical-Style Turrets – Exposed turrets provide fast, accurate and easily read elevation and windage adjustments
- Side Focus – Adjustment located on riflescope’s left side and is easily accessible from shooting position. Provides optimal image focus and parallax removal
- CRS Zero Stop – Customizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction
- Precision-Force Spring System – Uses premium components in the erector-spring system to ensure maximum repeatability and ease of adjustment
- Precision-Glide Erector System – Uses premium components in the zoom lens mechanism to ensure smooth magnification changes under the harshest conditions
- MAG-View Fiber Optic – Provides a highly visible reference point for the magnification setting
- Radius Bar – Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides a highly visible and tactile point of reference for turret rotations. US Patent 7,937,879
- Fast Focus Eyepiece – Allows quick and easy reticle focusing
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127
Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle Scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A
Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Riflescope — First Focal Plane
The Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle Scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A boasts features associated with top-tier riflescopes, yet comes in at a street price under the $1,000 mark. Matching reticle and turret measurements allow accurate, fast dialing of shots. The one-piece 30mm tube, precision-machined from a single solid block of aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum, offers ample windage and elevation adjustment. Born from an intimate understanding of riflescope design, forward-thinking engineering, and open ears to a market incredibly vocal about what it wants in a riflescope, the Viper PST series delivers the performance and features tactical shooters demand at an economical price.
Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP R416F1 A 12A Reticle
Vortex Viper PST Riflescope Manual
- Magnification 4-16 x
- Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm
- Eye Relief 4.0 inches
- Field of View 27.4-7.4 feet/100 yards
- Tube Size 30 mm
- Turret Style Tactical
- CRS Zero Stop
- Adjustment Graduation 1/4 MOA
- Travel per Rotation 12 MOA
- Max Elevation Adjustment 75 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment 75 MOA
- Parallax Setting 50 yards to Infinity
- Length 13.7 inches
- Weight 22.4 ounces
- XD Lens Elements Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting in crisp, sharp images.
- XR Fully Multi-Coated Proprietary coatings increase light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.
- First Focal Plane Reticle Scale of reticle remains in proportion to the zoomed image. Constant subtensions allow accurate holdover and ranging at all magnifications.
- Glass-etched Reticle Protected between two layers of glass for optimum durability and reliability.
- Illuminated Reticle Provides precise aiming under low-light conditions.
- Construction Features
- Tube Size 30 mm diameter.
- Single-Piece Tube Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance, as well as ensures strength and waterproofness.
- Aircraft-Grade Aluminum Constructed from a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and rigidity.
- Waterproof O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the riflescope for reliable performance in all environments.
- Fogproof Argon gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.
- Shockproof Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
- Hard Anodized Finish Highly durable low-glare matte finish helps camouflage the shooter’s position.
- ArmorTek Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt.
- Tactical-Style Turrets Exposed turrets provide fast, accurate and easily read elevation and windage adjustments.
- Side Focus Adjustment located on riflescope’s left side and is easily accessible from shooting position. Provides optimal image focus and parallax removal.
- Internal Mechanism Design Features CRS Zero Stop Customizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction.
- Precision-Force Spring System Uses premium components in the erector-spring system to ensure maximum repeatability and ease of adjustment.
- Precision-Glide Erector System Uses premium components in the zoom lens mechanism to ensure smooth magnification changes under the harshest conditions.
- MAG-View Fiber Optic Provides a highly visible reference point for the magnification setting.
- Radius Bar Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides a highly visible and tactile point of reference for turret rotations. US Patent 7,937,879
- Fast Focus Eyepiece Allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
Subtension detail for the Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP riflescope with EBR-1 MOA reticle.
EBR-1 Reticle (MOA)
The EBR-1 (Enhanced Battle Reticle) is a hashmarked ranging reticle using MOA based subtension lines for ranging, holdover, and windage corrections. First focal plane reticle.
Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle Scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A
Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50
One of the greatest new features gained from updating 308AR.com is the ability for guests to add comments and even contribute content. This post will be the first in hopefully a series if not standard operating procedure for this site. To kick this off I’m going to start with a question. What are your thought’s and opinions on the Vortex Viper PST series of scopes as well as Vortex Optics in general? Typically when looking at scopes for .308’s I will go with Nikon M-308 for low to moderate priced options. When I need premium quality rifle scopes I opt for Leupold Mark 4 ER/T series. Anyhow last couple years I have noticed that Vortex Scopes seem to get quite a bit of love on the web and now that we have a need for a scope or two for a few different .308 projects I figured it’s time for some public opinion.
For reference the Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A is the first of the Vortex Scopes I am considering.
Please comment below. (If you do not see an option to comment Im working on resolving the issue)
Vortex Viper PST Scope Opinions?