In late 2007 308ar.com was born out of several thoughts and ideas. The first being that AR15 shooters would eventually seek a more powerful platform, hunters not interested in a 5.56 weapon might embrace the more powerful 7.62/.308 Winchester cartridge and long range precision target shooters would gravitate towards and appreciate the modularity of the 308AR platform. Lastly that while on the surface the Armalite AR-10, DPMS LR-308, and AR15 look similar there are substantial differences. The AR15 difference should be obvious as a 7.62 rifle, .308Winchester cartridge is longer longer than a .223/5.56 and simply cannot dimensionally fit in a mil-spec AR15. This leaves us with the subject of this post, the Armalite AR-10.
First off let’s start with the simplest reason all 308AR rifles are not an AR-10. The Armalite “AR-10″ is a trademarked model of rifle from Armalite. To call all 308AR rifles AR-10 is like saying every cola is Coke, every muscle car is a Mustang or all plastic wrap is Saran Wrap. All three of those products are trademarked names of their respective brands and should not be used interchangeably.
Now for the more complex reasons the Armalite AR-10 is the only AR-10. In 2015 the differences are now less then the were three years ago but they are no less confusing and no less insignificant.
Armalite AR-10 Upper Receiver – the Armalite AR-10 upper receiver has a profile that prevents it from properly fitting on a DPMS LR-308 style profile. An Armalite AR-10 upper receiver should only be used with an Armalite AR-10 lower receiver. The Armalite AR-10 upper receiver uses a barrel extension and bolt unique to the Armalite AR-10 upper receiver. Do not use a DPMS LR-308 bolt in an Armalite AR-10 barrel/barrel extension. Likewise do not use the Armalite AR-10 bolt in a DPMS LR-308 barrel/barrel extension.
Armalite AR-10 Lower Receiver – the Armalite AR-10 Lower Receiver has a unique profile and should only be used with an Armalite AR-10 Upper Receiver. There are two Armalite AR-10 Lower Receiver styles prevalent today. The most common uses the proprietary Armalite AR-10 magazine once based on the M14 magazine which was developed and utilized as a result of the Clinton era Assault Weapon ban. These Armalite AR-10 Lower Receivers are not compatible with DPMS-LR 308 magazines, Magpul 308 AR magazines or Knights Armament SR25 magazines or their clones.
Recently Armalite resurrected their preban Armalite AR-10 lower receiver which will accept the DPMS-LR 308 magazines, Magpul 308 AR magazines or Knights Armament SR25 magazines and their clones.
Lastly in 2015 the lines of compatibility are blurring even further. So many companies producing the 7.62/.308 Winchester based weapons and nearly all following the DPMS LR-308 basic design yet that does not guarantee 100% compatibility with other 308AR weapons. With no mil-spec design we are seeing a lot of creative liberties with weapon designs. It’s a blessing and a curse. Know what your buying. If unsure of compatibility contact the manufacturer or join the forum and tap the knowledge base of the community
Read more information here.
Armalite AR-10 The Only AR-10
Visit the 308AR.com Forum
I pictorial of my BOBRO Scope Mount. The “BOBRO Precision Optic Mount 1″, Slightly Extended” model to be exact. Like my BOBRO Bipod this BOBRO Mount is one of my favorite pieces of gear for AR15, AR-10 and 308AR. There was a time not to long ago that these too were difficult to come by. In fact if you wanted to obtain one it was easier to get your hands on the Trijicon private labeled version than the named BOBRO version. Today there are many alternative versions from BOBRO readily available from Trijicon on Amazon and BOBRO branded from Brownells. I should add that if you click that Amazon link there is a bottom view of the Trijicon mount that displays the BOBRO branding.
From the BOBRO website
BOBRO Scope Mount Description
The Precision Optic Mount provides a rock solid, repeat zero scope interface for your weapon platform. It features the Patented [US Patent 8,567,105] BLAC™ lever system which requires no manual adjustment to attain a proper, rock solid engagement on a 1913 Picatinny rail.
The Precision Optic Mount features the Patented [US Patent 8,567,105] BLAC™ lever system which was designed around the following parameters:
- Must be compatible with any 1913 Specification Rail, to include systems that are out of specification (within reason) and this includes Weaver rails.
- Must be completely tool and user adjustable free. It needs to be 100% self contained and mate securely to any rail without the user having to tailor the pressure/engagement position.
- Must lock with enough pressure to positively attach any device or optical instrument to a rail without movement, static or dynamic forces not withstanding.
- The rail must not experience any deformation due to user error. This must include synthetic (plastic/polymer/composite) rail systems.
- Auto Index capability. The device must also index parallel to the bore. The unit must always repeat the forward shift (recoil forces direction of influence) not only to maximize zero repeatability, but to take this step of installation out of the users initial mounting sequence. Index must be redundant.
- Unit must not shoot loose due to improper mounting or a mechanical bottoming out.
- The system must incorprate a safety that prevents the lever from being accidentally opened. The safety must be able to be manipulated in conjunction with the lever rotation, so that only one hand is required to open it.
- The unit will utilize constant force to ensure required pressure in all conditions. The force must be substantial to prevent any shift forward/aft left/right.
- The pressure must be applied in a linear direction centered in the main body to prevent cocking of the mount.
- It must be easy to manipulate by gloved or fatigued hands.
- It must be extremely robust, and withstand shock and impact to the system housing.
- There were others, but by listing them we would compromise our trade secrets.
Materials & Construction
The Precision Optic Mount is precision CNC machined from a block of 6061 T6 aluminum and finished in hard coat type 3 mil-spec anodized black for a rock hard lasting finish.
- 6061 T6 Aluminum
- Type 3 Hard coat black anodizing
- Weighs only 7.5 ozs!
- Made in the USA!
The Precision Optic Mount has the following specifications:
- Height: 1.330″ from top of 1913 to tube center
- Weight: 7.5oz
- Ring Spacing: 2.950″ inside to inside
- Ring Spacing: 4.670″ outside to outside
- Ring Width: 0.860″ wide (each)
Christensen Arms CA-10 AR-10 Carbon Fiber Barrel for 308AR Rifles (DPMS Pattern)
Christensen Arms seems to be one of the few 308AR barrel manufacturers who seems to be able to consistently deliver a CARBON FIBER BARREL for the 308AR platform. The Christensen Arms Carbon Fiber Barrel is equipped with a DPMS LR-308 compatible barrel extension. If you want to use this an an Armalite AR-10 be sure to use an AR-10 bolt not a DPMS. This 18″ barrel weighs in at 2.3 pounds which is over one pound less than a DPMS 308 SASS Fluted Barrel.
- Barrel Weight: 2.3 lbs
- Cartridge: 308 Winchester
- Finish: Carbon Fiber
- Gas System Length: Mid-Length
- Length: 18
- Muzzle Threads: 5/8-24
- Twist: 1-10
- Made in the USA
Designed using precision engineering adopted from the aerospace industry, Christensen Arms carbon-fiber barrels are crafted using a proprietary layered design that offers any marksman superior accuracy and performance. The barrel lining is made from match-grade 416R stainless steel and is measured to a tolerance of +/- .0001. When it comes to accuracy, Christensen Arms carbon-fiber barrels have performance you can trust. Includes gas block and gas tube.
Christensen Arms Carbon Fiber Barrel
The CA-10 is the lightest AR-10 platform available on the market. A perfect match for precision shooting, tactical drills or hunting. Weight – 7.8 lbs. Standard Features
- Christensen LTM Trigger
- 1 MOA accuracy guarantee
- Machined aircraft-grade aluminum receiver
- Match-grade carbon wrapped barrel
- Gas impingement operating system
- Carbon-fiber hand guard with integrated carbon Picatinny rails
- Nitride bolt carrier finish
- Ambidextrous magazine release
- Oversized bolt release
- 20 MOA Picatinny receiver rail
- Extended charging handle
- Houge over-molded grip
- OSS Banner flash suppressor
- Accepts DPMS-style magazine
- 1 MOA accuracy guarantee with appropriate ammunition
- .308 Winchester chambering
- Hard black anodized Type III or Cerakote receiver colors
- Camouflage dipping
- Barrel length SBR to 24”
- Titanium muzzle brake
- Geissele, Timney or AR Gold trigger
- Adjustable or fixed stocks
- Ambidextrous safety
- Numerous finish options
- .243 Winchester or 6.5 Creedmore chambering
- Machined Billet 7075 T6
- LTM Trigger System
- Machined Billet 7075 T6
- Integral picatinny rail
- Carbon-Fiber wrapped
- Match Grade
- 1 MOA Guarantee
- OSS Banner Flash Hider
- Intergral rails
(Geneseo, IL – May 21, 2015) 308AR.com The countdown has begun for the 2015 National Matches at Camp Perry, OH, where only the best of the best compete in what is considered the “World Series of the Shooting Sports.” Competition at the highest level requires only the best equipment and Armalite is here to deliver!
For more than a decade, Armalite rifles in both the AR-10® and M-15™ platforms have decorated the firing line as the choice of some of the best shooters on the National Match circuit. Join them by ordering one of the following Armalite National Match rifles today!
Armalite AR-10 National Match Rifle (10A4BNMF)
This rifle is superbly accurate and ready for long-range match domination out of the box. Chambered in 7.62x51mm, this rifle features a 20-in. triple lapped, AISI 416R stainless steel match barrel with a 5/8×24 thread and stainless steel flash suppressor. It comes with a forged, flat-top receiver with a MIL-STD 1913 rail and forward assist, a two-stage National Match trigger and weighs 11.5 lbs. MSRP: $2,365
Armalite M-15™ A4 National Match (15A4BNM)
Developed by, and for, the National Match shooter, the Armalite M-15A4 National Match Special Purpose Rifle allows for more versatility in sighting options for other applications while conforming to match regulations. This rifle is chambered in 5.56x45mm, features a 20-in. triple lapped, AISI 416R stainless steel barrel with National Match sleeve, 1/2×28 thread and flash suppressor. The forged, flat-top upper receiver has a MIL-STD 1913 rail with detachable National Match carry handle for the addition of optics. The two-stage National Match trigger finishes out this rifle making it the ideal firearm for competition. MSRP: $1,435
All Armalite National Match rifles are available exclusively through Davenport Guns. For more information, or to order your Armalite National Match rifle today, contact Davenport Guns: (563) 424-1812 or www.davenportguns.com. For more information on Armalite products, visit www.Armalite.com.
So you want a lightweight 308AR/AR-10 style rifle. Well DPMS has redesigned their LR-308 308AR platform ad created some pretty light rifles, in the 7 pound range in their new GII series. They have also increased the parts compatibility with the AR-15 but that is a story for another day.
The GII MOE Carbine is for the .308 shooter who wants certain enhancements. This rifle, along with the AP4, is the lightest model GII rifle, coming in at 7.25 lbs. Add in the complete MOE furniture kit and you have one badass enhanced carbine that will turn heads at the range.
- CALIBER: 308 / 7.62 Nato
- LENGTH: 34.25″ (Collapsed)
- WEIGHT: 7.25lbs
- BARREL: 16″ Lightweight 4150 Chromelined
- UPPER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl 3 Anodized, Teflon coated, A3 type
- LOWER RECEIVER: Forged 7075 T6 lvl Anodized, Teflon coated
- TWIST: 1×10
- STOCK: MOE Carbine Stock, Commercial Spec
- FIRE CONTROL: Std AR
- PISTOL GRIP: Magpul MOE
- FRONT / REAR SIGHT: F marked Front sight base, MagPul® BUIS
- FLASH HIDER: Cancellation Brake
- HANDGUARD: MOE Carbine-Length AR15/M16
DPMS GII MOE 308AR
I just saw this at Brownells. A .338 Federal Marked Stripped Lower for $109. This can be used for a 308AR and is a great price.
338 Federal 308AR Stripped Lower Receiver – Rugged, fully machined 338 lower is ready to be the foundation of a hard-hitting long-range tactical, competition, or hunting rifle built to meet your exact specifications. Precision milled from a solid billet of high-grade 7029 T6 aluminum, with extra metal in the right places to handle thousands of rounds of full-power ammo without flexing or stress-cracking. Mil-spec hardcoat anodized for extra surface strength and corrosion resistance. Beveled mag well aids in fast reloads, and the integral, straight triggerguard milled from the billet with the rest of the receiver provides clearance for a gloved trigger finger while adding to the structural strength of the receiver.
Accepts standard 308-AR upper receivers & components.
338 Federal 308AR Stripped Lower Receiver
The dual-charging PSC-12™ upper assembly features all the utility and advantages of its predecessor, the PSC-11™, available now for large-frame AR platforms in both the DPMS LR-308 and the Armalite AR-10/Knights Armament SR-25 patterns. On the heels of the JP side-charge system’s success on our other rifles, the PSC Series not only offers a unique new take on this feature by incorporating both side-charge and traditional top-charge systems into a single upper receiver, but also by making this innovation cross-compatible with existing DPMS, Armalite and Knights Armament lower assemblies. The PSC-series combines the great features and performance of virtually our entire rifle line into a single package designed for the all-out tactical market with its redundant charging systems, dust cover and forward assist. In addition, the PSC-12™ is also available as a complete rifle built on a modified version of our LRP-07™ billet lower with the full selection of stock, grip and trigger options available.
JP Rifles PSC-12 308AR Rifle
Download the DPMS 2015 Catalog Here