Click the text below
We probably get just as many questions about the best scope for an AR-10/308AR as we do out the platform hardware itself. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 will be a first in a series of Vortex scope purchases for this and our other sites. The Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 was intially ordered for a a MDT TAC21 project at modularrifle.com. However based on the price point half way between the inexpensive scopes and premium scopes the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 might just be exactly what many AR-10 and 308AR rifle shooters are looking for. We purchased ours online here.
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP Riflescope EBR-2C MOA Reticle 43127 Description:
One of the most common questions we get on the forum or facebook is “CAN I USE AN AR15 TRIGGER IN A AR-10 or 308AR?“. Well the answer is not black and white. Most AR15 triggers will in fact physically fit and function in a current AR-10 and 308AR rifle. However the reason AR-10 and 308AR specific triggers exist is for one main reason, military primers. The primers in military ammo often require more energy to ignite the primer than .223/5.56 ammunition. The way they extra energy is achieved with a heavier hammer and a more powerful hammer spring. If you look closely at the picture above you can see that Pact in their AR Gold and SR Gold Triggers increases the height of the hammer slightly to gain the extra mass.
There are many shooters successfully using AR15 TRIGGERS in their AR-10 and 308AR rifles however the risk is reliability. Our suggestion is always utilize a trigger that is specifically stated by the manufacturer to work in a AR-10 and 308AR rifle. There is typically no cost difference unless you want to utilize the least expensive triggers or a AR-15 TRIGGER with a TRIGGER JOB. In either of those cases I would have to ask why bother? Remember a quality trigger is the single best improvement you can make to any AR-10 and 308AR rifle. Skimp elsewhere.
- $65 – ALG DEFENSE ADVANCED COMBAT TRIGGER (ACT) – While listed as an AR15 TRIGGER. It is listed by the manufacturer as a AR-10, 308AR Trigger
- $113 – J P ENTERPRISES – AR-15/AR-STYLE .308 ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER SYSTEM
- $189 – CMC – AR-15 TACTICAL TRIGGER GROUP – CMC triggers are listed as AR15 TRIGGERS but according to the manufacturer suitable in AR-10 and 308AR rifles. The CMC line of trigger probably represent the best value in performance versus cost. The CMC line of triggers is my recommendation for shooters who can’t afford the $280 triggers. The differences in performance are so close the average shooter might not be able to tell the difference.
- $279 PACT SR GOLD TRIGGER MODULE – I know the Geissele has developed a massive following. For my finger the PACT ATC SR GOLD has been and still is my favorite 308AR TRIGGER.
AR15 Trigger In A AR-10
Kudo’s to Brownells for increasing their footprint in the 308AR/AR-10 arena. We were pleased to see Brownells is offering a Brownells Branded 308AR Bolt Carrier Group available in phosphate and black nitride.
The Brownells 308 AR Bolt Carrier Groups come completely assembled and inspected, ready for use in your next 308AR build. Bolt is machined from Vac Arc Premium 9310 Carburizing Steel, providing a high core hardness and high fatigue strength. Bolt is also Magnetic Particle Inspected and shot peened. Extractor is machined from S7 Tool Steel for extended life. Carrier is machined from 8620 steel and properly heat treated. Gas key is machined from 4140 steel and properly staked. Bolt Carrier Groups are available in the standard, mil-spec Phosphate with a Chrome interior, or with a Black Nitride Finish. These 308AR BCGs, are Made in the USA.
SPECS: Fits – DPMS pattern 308 rifles. Materials – Vac Arc 9310 Steel Bolt. 8620 Steel Carrier. S7 Tool Steel Extractor. 4140 Gas Key. 4340 Cam Pin. Bolt are magnetic particle inspected and shot peened.
Watvh the Brownells video for additional information
Brownells Branded 308AR Bolt Carrier Group
Brownells is running a special on the Magpul PRS stock with the parts needed to complete the buttstock installation on your 308AR build. All three colors are in stock. Click here for ordering information.
The 308 AR PRS Buttstock Kit includes the following items:
- Buttstock extension tube
- 308 buttstock buffer spring
- 308 buffer body assembly
308 AR PRS Buttstock Kit – Solid construction with an adjustable length of pull and cheekpiece height make this stock an excellent option for varmint and long-range target rifles. The 28 oz weight adds heft and balance to heavy-barreled rifles. Requires standard rifle-length A2 buffer, receiver extension buffer tube, and spring (not included). Includes mounting hardware and 2 ambidextrous sling loops. When compared to the standard A2 stock, the MagPul PRS length of pull adjustment goes from .25″ shorter than the A2 to .75″ longer than the A2.
Fully adjustable stock and comb for .308 AR rifles readily adapts length of pull and comb height with two click-detent adjustment wheels. Rubber buttpad seats securely onto your shoulder and won’t slip during sustained shooting exercises. Fully-raised comb will not get in the way of charging handle operation. Removable base cover conceals an accessory rail to provide a mounting platform for a monopod. Removable sling loops can be mounted on either side of stock to accommodate your preferred carry position.
SPECS: Molded polymer, Black, Dark Earth, or O.D. Green. Comb height can be raised 1″ (2.5cm). 1 lb. 12 oz. (.79kg) wt.
308 AR PRS Buttstock Kit
Simply put the MBA MODULAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY from Luth-AR is a skeletonized lighter weight alternative the the Magpul PRS. The specs around the internet are confusing. The MBA MODULAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY from Luth-AR weighs in at 1.25 pounds while the Magpul PRS comes in at 1.68 pounds. It will be interesting to see how Magpul responds to the Luth-AR line of stocks.
The below originally at shooting illustrated.
MBA MODULAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY Luth-AR – When it comes to custom stocks for the AR15, 308AR, AR-10 options are pretty much wide open. You can add on a collapsible stock that will allow you to fit the rifle to shooters of different sizes (or different clothing configurations based on location and temperature), there are options for fixed stocks, and there are even stocks that are adjustable for precision shooting. There are even devices that allow you to fold the stock on your gas-impingement-driven AR15.
In this last group, options are less-plentiful than in the collapsible arena. A handful of manufacturers make fully-adjustable buttstocks for the AR15, 308AR, AR-10, so when there was a new player in town, it piqued our interest here at HQ. Luth-AR is a new company started by the founder of DPMS Arms, and the Modular Buttstock Assembly (MBA) is one of its first products.
The unit is solid, with adjustments made without tools using a simple thumbscrew and captured-nut. The stock can be set up for shooters of either hand, with the default set for right-handed shooters. It installs like any fixed stock and cannot be used on collapsible stock assemblies.
Two features set the MBA apart from competitors. The first is the weight—the MBA tips the scales at a featherweight 1.26 pounds. Shooters looking to save some weight on their precision rifle might be interested in the MBA. The second, more surprising feature is the MSRP of $139.95 available directly from Luth-AR and Brownells.
Glass-filled nylon rifle stocks fit onto standard A1/A2 buffer tubes and add adjustments and extra features to AR-15 rifles, including most .308 models. Stocks feature textured rubber recoil pads and 2 QD sling sockets for fast sling mounting and dismounting. Modular Stock gives an adjustable cheek rest, and adjustable length of pull. Weighs less compared to other adjustable stocks. Skeleton Stock has futuristic appearance, and helps reduce weight. Will not fit on carbine buffer tubes. Includes Allen wrench for mounting. Uncle Mike’s QD Sockets (593-000-038) can be epoxied into socket on the side of each stock.
- Fully adjustable: extra 1″ height on cheek rest, additional 1 1/16″ length of pull with extended length buttplate
- Approximately half the weight of competitors’ adjustable stocks The “MBA” weighs just 1.26 lbs.
- Easy to replace and quick to install
- Fits all .223 and most .308 AR style rifles
- Super Strong Glass Filled Nylon
MBA MODULAR BUTTSTOCK ASSEMBLY Luth-AR
The Aero Precision M5 308AR Stripped Lower Receiver helps you build a big-bore AR from the ground up. Mil-spec dimensions and coating ensure the highest quality and correct component interface.
- Works with standard DPMS 308 components and magazines
- Upper Tension Screw – Allows users to fine tune the fit of the upper and lower receiver through the use of a nylon tipped tensioning set screw inserted in the grip tang of the lower receiver.
- Rear takedown pin detent hole is threaded for a 4-40 set screw
- Bolt catch is threaded for a screw pin (no roll pin needed)
- Integrated trigger guard
- Selector markings will work with 45, 60 or 90 degree safety selectors
- Accepts Battle Arms Development short throw safety selectors, but will work with any standard selector
- No gap with aftermarket pistol grips
- Stripped M5 (.308) Lower Receiver in Anodized Black
- Nylon tipped tensioning set screw
- Platform M5 (.308)
- Material Machined from 7075-T6 forged aluminum
- Finish Anodized Black
- Markings “Cal Multi”
- Compatibility Works with standard DPMS 308 components and magazines
- Weight 12.2oz
- Other Includes upper tension screw
Aero Precision M5 308AR Stripped Lower Receiver
Aero Precision 308AR Standard Lower Parts Kit APRH100160 helps you to build a custom .308 AR from the ground up. Mil- spec dimensions and coating ensure the highest quality and correct component interface.
- Aero Precision M5 (.308) Complete Lower Parts Kit
- The custom takedown and pivot pins are made to work with our M5 lower. They will work with DPMS-pattern lowers as well but will stick out further.
- Takedown/pivot Spring
- Takedown/pivot detent
- Trigger/hammer pin
- M5 .308 Takedown pin
- M5 .308 Pivot pin
- M5 .308 Bolt Catch
- Bolt Catch Spring
- Bolt Catch Buffer
- Bolt Catch Roll pin
- Safety Selector
- Safety Selector Spring
- Safety Selector Detent
- Buffer Retainer
- Buffer Retainer Spring
- A2 Pistol Grip
- Pistol Grip Screw
- Pistol Grip Lock Washer
- Trigger Spring
- Hammer Spring
- Disconnector Spring
- Magazine Catch Body
- Magazine Catch Spring
- Extended Magazine Catch Button