Can I Use An AR15 Rifle Length Buffer In My AR10 or 308AR Rifle Stock? That is a question we see pretty regularly on the forum and Facebook. The answer is of course no and the reason is simple. The AR-10 and 308AR Bolt Carrier Group are much longer than an AR15 Bolt Carrier Group. Using the AR15 rifle length buffer would not allow the AR-10 and 308AR to cycle completely.
So now your thinking how can a substantially more powerful cartridge use a shorter buffer? That too easy an easy answer or two. A Rifle Length AR-10 308AR buffer will weigh substantially more than an AR15 Rifle Length Buffer.The AR-10 and 308AR Buffer Recoil Spring will also be stronger offering more resistance. Slash of Heavy Buffers.com does a great job of sorting it out.
Update; Pat Raley our resident AR-10 expert offers up a more thorough and detailed explanation.
The buffers and buffer springs between the AR-10 / .308 style rifles and the M-15 series of rifles are different. Not just length, but weight also. They are both close in size but yet different enough where they should not be interchanged. Now as for receiver extension tubes… (this is mostly for ArmaLite rigles) There are 3, I say again… 3… I spell t h r e e different size receiver extension tubes. The rifle length is the same for the AR-10, as it is for the M-15. The carbine receiver extension tubes are different. The AR-10 is longer to allow the larger bcg to make the distance. In theory. .. you can not use an M-15 receiver extention on a AR-10.
(Another story at a different yime)
Carbine…..we will save that fo another post at a later date.
Visit Ballistic Advantage for ordering information
- Carrier Machined from 8620
- .308 Bolt Machined from 9310
- Forged Gas Key Properly Staked
- S7 Tool Steel Extractor
- Heavy Duty Extractor Spring and Viton O-Ring
- Grade 8 hardware
- Shot Peened Bolt
- Forward Assist Serrations
- Carrier, Gas Key, Cam Pin, Bolt, & Extractor coated inside and out with EXO NiB
- Test Fired complete before shipping to ensure proper function
Ballistic Advantage Nickel Boron 308AR Bolt Carrier Group
The AR-10 Versatile Sporting Rifle™ is a rifle designed with agility in mind and is built around features that ensure the marksman has the right tool, no matter the job. Accurate, light weight, adjustable, and balanced, the VSR is a capable contender on any field.
- Caliber – 7.62X51 mm / .308
- Barrel – 18” black cerakoted stainless steel
- Rifling Twist – 1:10” RH
- Muzzle Device – Threaded 5/8 x 24 with knurled thread protector
- Front Sight Base -2” MIL-STD 1913 rail section at forward 12 o’clock position of hand guard
- Handguard – 15” VSR handguard
- Stock – Luth MBA-1 light weight precision adjustable for length-of-pull and comb height
- Upper Receiver – Forged flat-top with MIL-STD 1913 rail, 7075-T6 aluminum
- Lower Receiver – 7075-T6 aluminum (forged)
- Safety – Ambidextrous
- Trigger -Two-stage precision
- Charging Handle -“Raptor” ambidextrous charging handle
- Finish – Hard anodized aluminum, manganese phosphated steel
- Overall Length – 37.5” (collapsed); 38.5” (extended)
- Weight – 8.8 lbs.
- Included – One 20-Round Magpul Pmag, Owner’s Manual
- Warranty – Limited Lifetime Warranty
AR-10 Versatile Sporting Rifle
Recently at one of our other sites MODULARRIFLE.COM we retrofitted a Remington 700 BDL .308 with a Modular Driven Technologies MDT TAC21 Chassis. While exploring the MDT website I happened across the AR-10 PRS ADJUSTABLE BUTTPLATE (I added the term AR-10 for sake of this sites search engine presence). Up until this point I was only aware of the JP Rifles version. Installing an adjustable butt plate on a MAGPUL PRS will take an already great stock to the “be all it can be level” by allowing the shooter to dial in a perfect fit. I will be getting two.
The MDT AR-10 PRS Adjustable Butt Plate is three-way adjustable for drop pitch and offset as well as length of pull. It further enhances the MAGPUL PRS® stock by adding the adjustability and the comfort of a soft rubber recoil pad. This is a complete module. It replaces the existing MAGPUL PRS® recoil pad, mechanism and all.
MDT AR-10 PRS Adjustable Butt Plate Features:
- Allows for PRS stocks to be perfectly fit to your position and/or clothing
- Adjustable vertically and for cant/rotation
- PRS butt plate retains the LOP adjustment that comes standard with PRS stocks
- Includes soft, rubber, recoil pad
- Adjustments are easily accessed through the rear of the recoil pad
- Over 3 inches of vertical adjustment
- Easily replace existing PRS hardware
- Aluminum construction with matte black anodizing and steel hardware with a matte black finish
MDT AR-10 PRS Adjustable Butt Plate
Law Tactical AR Folding Stock Adapter GEN 3-M
The Law Tactical AR Folding Stock Adapter GEN 3 is the first and only folding stock adapter compatible with AR platform rifles. The Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter works with direct impingement or gas piston systems and fits A2, carbine, mil-spec or commercial buffer tube and stocks. It can be used with standard bolt carrier groups including: full auto, semi auto, 5.56 to .308.
The Law Tactical AR Folding Stock Adapter GEN 3 was designed for low profile transport of AR rifles in non-permissive environments. The adapter is ideal for any situation that requires a smaller profile weapon for transport and storage. Simple one-button release folds the stock. To engage, just unfold and fire. The stock automatically locks into place, requiring no fine motor skills.
Designed, built and assembled in the USA from CNC machined, 4140 steel.
The adapter does not affect gun function when unfolded in the standard fire position. The rear portion of the adapter is built to the same specifications as a standard receiver to ensure maximum compatibility. An integrated single point sling attachment point is included.
- Housing Weight: 8.5 oz
- Bolt Carrier Extension: 2 oz
- Adds 1.3 inches to length of pull
- CNC Machined 4140 Steel
- Low hinge reduces interference when charging weapon
- Retaining Pin uses standard, mil-spec buffer retaining pin
- Ionbond DLC finish
- ADJUSTABLE hinge tension
- 4140 HARDENED Steel Low-profile housing, locking lug and latch
- SET SCREW Prevents adapter loosening from receiver
- QUICK DETACH Sling attachment point
- TOOLESS BOLT CARRIER EXTENSION
- Install and remove without tools for easy maintenance
- REPLACEABLE O-RINGS
- Prevent additional damage to the adapter in the folded position
- SYMMETRICAL DESIGN Eliminates interference with buffer retaining pin
- *Installation Tool and Flange included
Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Riflescope — First Focal Plane
The Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle Scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A boasts features associated with top-tier riflescopes, yet comes in at a street price under the $1,000 mark. Matching reticle and turret measurements allow accurate, fast dialing of shots. The one-piece 30mm tube, precision-machined from a single solid block of aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum, offers ample windage and elevation adjustment. Born from an intimate understanding of riflescope design, forward-thinking engineering, and open ears to a market incredibly vocal about what it wants in a riflescope, the Viper PST series delivers the performance and features tactical shooters demand at an economical price.
- Magnification 4-16 x
- Objective Lens Diameter 50 mm
- Eye Relief 4.0 inches
- Field of View 27.4-7.4 feet/100 yards
- Tube Size 30 mm
- Turret Style Tactical
- CRS Zero Stop
- Adjustment Graduation 1/4 MOA
- Travel per Rotation 12 MOA
- Max Elevation Adjustment 75 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment 75 MOA
- Parallax Setting 50 yards to Infinity
- Length 13.7 inches
- Weight 22.4 ounces
- XD Lens Elements Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting in crisp, sharp images.
- XR Fully Multi-Coated Proprietary coatings increase light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.
- First Focal Plane Reticle Scale of reticle remains in proportion to the zoomed image. Constant subtensions allow accurate holdover and ranging at all magnifications.
- Glass-etched Reticle Protected between two layers of glass for optimum durability and reliability.
- Illuminated Reticle Provides precise aiming under low-light conditions.
- Construction Features
- Tube Size 30 mm diameter.
- Single-Piece Tube Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance, as well as ensures strength and waterproofness.
- Aircraft-Grade Aluminum Constructed from a solid block of aircraft-grade aluminum for strength and rigidity.
- Waterproof O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating the riflescope for reliable performance in all environments.
- Fogproof Argon gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.
- Shockproof Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
- Hard Anodized Finish Highly durable low-glare matte finish helps camouflage the shooter’s position.
- ArmorTek Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant coating protects exterior lenses from scratches, oil and dirt.
- Tactical-Style Turrets Exposed turrets provide fast, accurate and easily read elevation and windage adjustments.
- Side Focus Adjustment located on riflescope’s left side and is easily accessible from shooting position. Provides optimal image focus and parallax removal.
- Internal Mechanism Design Features CRS Zero Stop Customizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction.
- Precision-Force Spring System Uses premium components in the erector-spring system to ensure maximum repeatability and ease of adjustment.
- Precision-Glide Erector System Uses premium components in the zoom lens mechanism to ensure smooth magnification changes under the harshest conditions.
- MAG-View Fiber Optic Provides a highly visible reference point for the magnification setting.
- Radius Bar Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides a highly visible and tactile point of reference for turret rotations. US Patent 7,937,879
- Fast Focus Eyepiece Allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
EBR-1 Reticle (MOA)
The EBR-1 (Enhanced Battle Reticle) is a hashmarked ranging reticle using MOA based subtension lines for ranging, holdover, and windage corrections. First focal plane reticle.