One of the greatest new features gained from updating 308AR.com is the ability for guests to add comments and even contribute content. This post will be the first in hopefully a series if not standard operating procedure for this site. To kick this off I’m going to start with a question. What are your thought’s and opinions on the Vortex Viper PST series of scopes as well as Vortex Optics in general? Typically when looking at scopes for .308’s I will go with Nikon M-308 for low to moderate priced options. When I need premium quality rifle scopes I opt for Leupold Mark 4 ER/T series. Anyhow last couple years I have noticed that Vortex Scopes seem to get quite a bit of love on the web and now that we have a need for a scope or two for a few different .308 projects I figured it’s time for some public opinion.
For reference the Vortex Viper PST 4-16×50 FFP Rifle scope with EBR-1 MOA PST-416F1-A is the first of the Vortex Scopes I am considering.
Please comment below. (If you do not see an option to comment Im working on resolving the issue)
Vortex Viper PST Scope Opinions?
At one of our sister websites MODULARRIFLE.COM there is a project to build a Remington 700 based MDT TAC21 rifle. Part of the process was to select a buttstock, something lighter than a MAGPUL PRS. One of the candidates that came in to view was Luth AR MBA Stock. The Luth AR MBA Stock appears to be in appearances, not construction or materials, an inexpensive skeletonized version of the MAGPUL PRS. I think it’s a great concept and initial reviews on the web are pretty decent. Magpul should take notice.
Note: Clicking either picture above will take you to two different resources for more information and purchasing options. It also helps support this site while costing you nothing.
- Fully adjustable: extra 1″ height on cheek rest, additional 1 1/16″ length of pull with extended length buttplate
- Approximately half the weight of competitors’ adjustable stocks The “MBA” weighs just 1.26 lbs.
- Easy to replace and quick to install
- Fits all .223 and most .308 AR style rifles
- Super Strong Glass Filled Nylon
- Weight 2 Pounds
- Modular buttstock assembly for the AR
- Interchangeable with standard A1 or A2 buttstocks or any aftermarket buttstock with overall length of approximately 10.5″
- Length: 10 3/8″ ( 11.5″ extended )
- Sling swivels not included
- Not interchangeable with carbine rifles with telescoping assemblies.
- Fully Ambidextrous and can be comfortably used shooting off either shoulder (Cheek piece pre-installed for right handed shooters but can be installed on either side for right or left hand shooters)
Luth AR MBA Stock 308AR Stock
Visit the 308AR.com Forum
M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16″ .308 Barrel, EK-12 Handguard – FDE Cerakote APCR308012 – The Aero Precision M5E1 Complete Rifle features a custom integrated upper receiver and hand guard system. This extremely rigid design allows for a stronger handguard mounting platform to accommodate a multitude of optic requirements. The handguard system is free-floated, giving the owner superior performance and accuracy.
All complete rifles are assembled by our professional gunsmiths and are tested prior to leaving our facility. Buy with confidence when you purchase an Aero Precision Complete Rifle. Vist Aero Precision
- Upper: M5E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver in FDE Cerakote
- Barrel: 16″ .308, Mid-Length, 1:10 Twist, 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium, QPQ corrosion resistant finish
- Handguard: Enhanced Series Handguard of choice
- Gas System: Low Profile Gas Block and Mid-Length Gas Tube
- Bolt Carrier Group: 8620 Steel, Phosphate Finish, Properly Staked, 7.62 Bolt
- Muzzle Device: Standard A2 Flash Hider
- Lower: M5 Lower Receiver with tension screw and integrated trigger guard
- Lower Parts Kit: Standard M5 .308 Lower Parts Kit
- Buffer Kit: Standard Mil-Spec M5 .308 Buffer Kit
- Stock: Magpul STR Stock
- Grip: Magpul MOE Grip
Aero Precision M5E1 FDE 308AR
There are a couple simple reasons to utilize a Nickel Boron 308 AR Bolt Carrier Group in your 308AR and AR-10 rifles. The Nickel Boron Coating by FailZero is super slippery this means the bolt carrier group can operate with much less lubricant, the bolt carrier group will be easier to clean and the coating should allow the bolt carrier group to outlast the weapon under normal operating conditions. Less wear will also occur in the upper receiver. The finish also looks pretty slick.
The Aero Precision upgraded .308/7.62 Nickel Boron 308AR Bolt Carrier Group BCG is an eye catching addition to your AR build. Mil- spec dimensions and coating ensure the highest quality and correct component interface. Visit Aero Precision
- Carrier is machined from 8620 steel
- Nickel Boron coated
- Bolt is machined from 9310 steel
- Forward Assist serrations
- Weight: 17.92oz
- Bolt carrier
- Complete bolt
- Firing pin
- Cam pin
- Retaining pin
Platform 308AR DPMS
Nickel Boron coating by Fail Zero. Learn more about Fail Zero Nickel Boron Coating Services.
Drop-in bolt and carrier group has a self-lubricating surface that eliminates the need to apply oil or grease that can attract dirt, dust, unburned powder, and carbon and lead to cycling failures. Proprietary EXO-treated Nickel Boron finish produces an exceptionally hard surface that’s 40% more wear resistant than chrome plating, with an ultra-low friction coefficient. Surface is actually harder than the substrate underneath and will not peel, flake, gall, or rub off. EXO-treated Nickel Boron finish bolt/carrier groups have been tested to function reliably without additional lubrication up to 50,000 rounds. Reduced friction also means less heat generated by metal-on-metal contact, so the gun runs cooler and parts last longer. Easy to clean, too—fouling brushes right off. Before treatment, parts are shot peened for surface uniformity and magnetic particle inspected to make sure there are no hidden flaws. Gas key is hardened to USGI specs, chrome lined to resist erosion, and comes already staked to the carrier.
Aero Precision Nickel Boron 308 AR Bolt Carrier Group
Machined from 7075 T6 aluminum, the CMT 308 AR STRIPPED BILLET UPPER LOWER RECEIVER SET is ideal for starting an AR-style .308 rifle build. Receiver set uses standard DPMS type .308 lower parts, bolt carrier group, charging handle, and dust cover. Upper receiver is compatible with DPMS high profile style .308 handguards. Bolt catch assembly uses a hex head screw instead of a roll pin for easier installation. Upper tension screw is built into the lower so tightening the upper to lower is quick and easy. Ultra flared magwell on lower is wire EDM cut to accept P-Mags. Receiver set includes take down pin detent spring retention screw and a Mil-Spec hardcoat anodized finish. Does not come with forward assist. Visit Cross Machine Tool
- UHP-10 LOWER CNC MACHINED FROM 7075 T6 BILLET
- UPUR-10 UPPER PRECISION MACHINED FROM 7075 T6 BILLET-DPMS HIGH PROFILE
- TYPE III CLASS II ANODIZED
- WIRE EDM MAG-WELL PROFILE IN LOWER- ACCEPTS PMAGS
- .154 DIAMETER TRIGGER & HAMMER PIN HOLES IN LOWER
- UPPER TENSIONING SCREW IN LOWER
- INTEGRALLY MACHINED TRIGGER GUARD
- ULTRA FLARED MAGWELL ON LOWER
- BOLT CATCH ASSEMBLY SCREW (No Roll Pin to install)
- USES STANDARD DPMS TYPE .308 LOWER PARTS KITS / BCG/ DUSTCOVER
- UPPER RECEIVER IS COMPATIBLE WITH DPMS HIGH PROFILE 308 HANDGUARDS
- LIFETIME WARRANTY AGAINST MANUFACTURE DEFECTS